Wednesday, January 2, 2008

[LINKS] Tidbits from the NYT

Just snippets that jumped out at me from the New York Times.

+ In the Land of Many Ifs. "Forecasting the demise of consumer spending, however, is notoriously risky. The willingness of Americans to spend, whatever the size of their debts, seems to transcend the rules of economics." I'm not very knowledgeable (whoa, what a strange word) about economics, but there was something about that line that struck me as particularly grim. Or telling.

+ The Invisible Ingredient. An interesting look at an aspect of cooking that we (or at least I) don't normally consider in depth. The end of the article also betrays a certain culinary romanticism that I thought was cute. The quest for the perfectly cooked meal and the myriad tragedies that can befall a well meaning chef.

+ New H.I.V. Cases Drop but Rise in Young Gay Men. "The older generation sees AIDS as a tragedy, the younger generation sees it as self-destructive behavior.” - Kyle. From a linguistic point of view (or whatever the proper term is), I thought it was interesting how the author selectively didn't use "gay men" but "men who have sex with men." Also, I thought the wording on "stubbornly high rates of substance abuse" was well done. From a more personal point of view, I don't really know what to say. It's terrible. To think that a preventable disease is inevitable. How do you get to the point where it's an acceptable outcome? How do you resign yourself to it?

+ Death Toll in Kenya Violence at 300. The direct quotes in this article are absolutely horrifying. '''All you do here is come to pick up bodies,'' shouted Boniface Shikami.

No comments: