Saturday, August 23, 2008

That little cup of sadness: "Is Jon Stewart The Most Trusted Man In America? [NYT]

Is Jon Stewart The Most Trusted Man In America? [NYT] It's an interesting article, and the end is particularly poignant.

Mr. Stewart described his anchorman character as “a sort of more adolescent version” of himself, and [co-executor producer Kahane] Corn noted that while things “may be exaggerated on the show, it’s grounded in the way Jon really feels.”

“He really does care,” she added. “He’s a guy who says what he means.


I've had this article up on my tabs for a week or so now, and I haven't been able to bring myself to write about it. There's a lot I wish I was smart enough to enunciate about sarcasm and genuineness and how it is too easy, too seductive, to replace the latter with the former. Irony for irony's sake is becoming one of my least favorite things (to hear, to use, to experience), and this article does a beautiful job showing that, for how it is generally perceived in media, The Daily Show is rooted in sincerity. The quotes from Stewart, from Corn and Colbert are all so honest and so telling. It's a pleasure to read.

Along those lines, the article also referenced the first Daily Show aired after September 11, and I thought it was worth linking.

No comments: