Saturday, January 10, 2009

From Visionary English Physicist, Self-Adjusting Lenses for the Poor

From a Visionary English Physicist, Self-Adjusting Lenses for the Poor.

In the United States, Britain and other wealthy nations, 60 to 70 percent of people wear corrective glasses, Silver said. But in many developing countries, only about 5 percent have glasses because so many people, especially those in rural areas, have little or no access to eye-care professionals.

...

He said the current business model for the industry that involves optometrists, opticians and labs making custom lenses and frames is to make "very high-quality, high-cost products for the developed world." He said his "lunatic's dream" is to say, "Hold on, half the world can't afford that."

There is something very immediate and wonderful about the idea of this man trying to get affordable glasses to people who could otherwise not be able to get them. Corrected vision is something that, I think, people tend to underappreciate. Even from my privileged perspective, I remember putting on my glasses for the first time in fifth grade and just marveling at the details of my own house. When I went outside at night, I could see stars.

No comments: